Greg Friend is a partner at Stahl, Bernal, Davies, Sewell & Chavarria, LLP, and participates in the firm’s Renewable Energy, Natural Resources and the Environment, Commercial Real Estate, and Texas Tax matters. Greg’s practice focuses on multiple aspects of the development of electric generation projects powered by natural resources, primarily wind and solar technologies. He represents project developers by: drafting and negotiating land control documents (leases, options, easements, etc.), transmission and facilities agreements, and other necessary development contracts; performing title and survey review and providing curative solutions to related issues; and advising clients regarding federal, state, and local environmental and permitting issues, and issuing opinion letters to support project transactions. Greg also represents investors in project transactions, performing due diligence activities related to the real estate, environmental, permitting, and regulatory aspects of a project.
He has represented traditional and renewable energy clients in permitting and rulemaking matters before the Public Utility Commission of Texas, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, and the Railroad Commission of Texas. Greg’s experience also includes representing clients in water sales and purchases, entity formations, and appearing in district and appellate courts.
Greg has written and presented extensively on wind and renewable energy issues, and served as a member of the planning committee for The University of Texas School of Law’s Renewable Energy Institute since 2011. Greg is licensed to practice law in Texas and Nebraska. He attended Vermont Law School in South Royalton, Vermont, where he was a member of the Vermont Law Review and interned at the United States Department of Justice, Environment & Natural Resources Division, Environmental Enforcement Section. Greg received his undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Represented wind project development companies with regard to real estate matters for development and/or sale of projects in various stages totaling 500 MW.
- Represented solar project development company with regard to real estate matters for development and/or sale of projects in various stages in Texas, California and New Mexico.
- Represented investor bank with regard to real estate, permitting, and regulatory matters in tax equity closing for 200 MW project in Texas Panhandle.
- Provided review of and issuance of opinion letters relating to permitting, regulatory, and/or Texas law matters for:
- 100 MW wind project located in Kinney County, Texas;
- 143 MW wind project located in Glasscock County, Texas;
- 148.6 MW wind project located in central Texas;
- 288.6 MW wind project located in Texas panhandle;
- 330 MW natural gas fired project located in west Texas;
- 207.2 MW wind project located in west Texas;
- 150 MW wind project located in Knox County, Texas;
- 150 MW wind project located in Baylor County, Texas; and
- 148.5 MW wind project located in Texas panhandle.
The lawyers of Stahl, Bernal, Davies, Sewell, & Chavarria, LLP, unless otherwise indicated in an individual lawyer’s biography, are not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.